Saturday, May 23, 2009

Alternatives In Life

Inspired by my own students at Washington State University, this blog is meant to document one artists journey, my own, through the various meanderings that help create an artist. Inspiration comes in many forms, and I think the trick is to stay open and critical.
As part of the Aritst in Residence program at the Santa Fe Art Institute, I am able to spend this month of May working and experimenting in a cultured and beautiful setting. As part of the Lannan Foundation's Readings and Conversations series, the poet Marge Piercy visited Santa Fe. I felt so fortunate to of gone to her reading. She is a sharp witty and hilarious woman. After her reading she was in conversation with Martin Espada and at one point Piercy stated" If you cant see alternatives in your life then your stuck." I thought about this in relationship to our current economic state. In some ways, I think we can, as a nation redifine and rearticulate what we strive for in life. There are, in fact, many alternatives. And how does this influence the creation of my own work? I have started to redifine and challenge my own vision with my work. I have started to ask questions that will, hopefully lead to a more expanded and committed creative relationship with myself and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment